Documentation must  consist of an evaluation by an appropriate professional, and describe the current impact of a disability as it relates to the request for accommodation. Documentation must include these elements:

Documentation must include these elements:

• Diagnostic statement identifying disability, date of most recent diagnostic evaluation, and date of original diagnosis.


• Description of diagnostic tests, methods, and/or criteria used.


• Description of current functional impact of disability, including specific test results and examiner’s narrative interpretation.


• Treatments, medications, and/or assistive devices/services currently prescribed or in use.

• Description of expected progression or stability of the impact of the disability over time, particularly in next five years.


• Credentials of diagnosing professional (psychologist, psychiatrist, physician), if not clear from letterhead or forms. The diagnosing professional may not be a  family member.

The best form of documentation is a psychological exam that makes specific recommendations regarding the type of educational accommodations that would help the student succeed.

Student forms


To apply for accommodations, please complete this form and return it to the Assistant Director of ACE in person or by scanning and emailing a completed copy to It may also be faxed to  276-326-4288. If you are faxing the form, please include a cover sheet that directs the form to the Assistant Director of ACE and notify Academic Support Services that you are faxing the form by emailing

(.pdf, 36K)

High School



Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973

Title II of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Section 504


Individual Education Plan (IEP)

Section 504

 School provides evaluation at no cost to student.

School conducts triennial evaluation.

Individual Education Plan (IEP) is acceptable

 Section 504 is not applicable. Documentation required from licensed professional; report must include diagnosis and functional limitations.

Student must obtain evaluation at own expense.

Student is not required to be re-tested after initial

documentation approved.



Student is identified and supported by parents/teachers.

Primary responsibility for accommodations belongs to the school.

Student must self-identify to the disabilities services (or other designated) office.

Primary responsibility for accommodations belongs to the student.


Parents have access to student records.

Parents advocate for student.

Parents do not have access to disability-related records unless student is under 18 or provides written consent.


Students advocate for themselves.


Modifications to curriculum and/or alterations to pace of assignments may be made (classes for college credit cannot be modified).

Multi-sensory approaches used.

Weekly testing, mid-term, final, and graded assignments used.

Attendance taken and reported.

Modifications to curriculum are not required.

Multi-sensory approaches may or may not be used. Lecture

may dominate delivery mode.

Testing and assignment frequency vary.


Attendance often is not taken; student is responsible for attending class.


Grades may be modified based on curriculum.

Grades reflect quality of work submitted.

• Can a postsecondary school deny my admission because I have a learning disability?

No, as long as you meet the essential requirements for admission.


• Do I have to inform a postsecondary school that I have a disability?

No. However, you must identify and document your disability (at your expense) if you wish to receive special accommodations. You must also provide documentation at the beginning of a school semester.  Accomodations will not be retroactive.


• What academic adjustments must a postsecondary school provide?

Academic adjustment does not include lowering or making substantial modifications to essential requirements. Appropriate adjustments are made on the basis of your disability and needs, and may include auxiliary aids and services such as priority registration, untimed tests, note takers, substitution of courses, or other methods.


• If I want an academic adjustment, what must I do?

Because postsecondary schools are not required to identify you as disabled nor assess your needs, you must inform the school about your disabilities if you wish to request academic adjustment. The college will require you to follow reasonable procedures to document your disabilities. You may request academic adjustment at any time, but the earlier the better, as some adjustments take more time than others. It is your responsibility to get and provide necessary documentation. Again, accomodations will not be retroactive.


• May a postsecondary school charge me for providing academic adjustments?

No. You will be charged the same for activities and programs as all other students.